Thursday, September 27, 2012

Meet Your Teachers: Mary Lowery

About Me:  I graduated from Clemson University in 2002 with a major in Secondary Education-English and a minor in Parks Recreation and Tourism Management-Outdoor Recreational Resource Management.  I was not sure if I wanted to pursue a career indoors as a teacher or outdoors as a park ranger!  In 2007, I earned my National Board Certification, and in 2009 I received my Master's degree in Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction from Walden University.  Walden University is an online school, and my experience there sparked my interest in online learning!  I taught at my high school Alma Mater - Summerville High School - for almost ten years.  I taught English 1, 2, 3 and 4, as well as Read 180, Academic Assistance, Media Communications and Broadcast Journalism, virtual education courses for evening students, and newspaper.  I was the director of the Miss Summerville High School Scholarshiph Pageant for 3 years and participating as emcee and judge in many local Miss USA sub-district pageants. This is my eleventh year of teaching, and I continue to grow and learn as an educator and mentor. Never a dull moment! I am so excited to continue my career adventures at SCVCS!

Personal Info:  I reside in Greenville with my husband of almost 9 years and my 7-year old son, Jonah, who is about to start first grade.  I grew up in Granby, Connecticut and moved to South Carolina during middle school because of my dad's job transfer. I met my husband in high school doing a school play, something I NEVER did (it was a musical), but I auditioned to "show up" a friend who said I couldn't do it. *hehe* Good thing, though, because that's where I met my husband! As a family, we love to camp, kayak, and day hike in the beautiful mountains of North and South Carolina - we've ventured to many places to explore and particularly enjoy the canyons in Utah and Arizona (my husband's stomping grounds). We love spending time with family and friends. I also enjoy shopping, family genealogy work, sewing, gardening, and reading.

Biggest Pet Peeve:  My biggest pet peeve? Hm. It really annoys me to clean my house or classroom (when in brick and mortar) only to turn around and find it a mess minutes later.  I'm a bit of a neat freak - hehe!